A personal injury case can be complex and require time and patience. As a plaintiff seeking personal injury compensation, you may seek what in legal terms is called “damages”. These can include compensation for injuries, property damage, or any loss resulting from an injury caused by someone else’s negligence or harmful intent.

There are several types of damages your personal injury attorney can help you receive. Damages fall under two general categories—compensatory and punitive. Compensatory damages are intended to compensate or reimburse the plaintiff for the harm sustained in an automobile accident, slip and fall case, medical malpractice, or wrongful death case.

Less common are punitive damages, which are not associated with the type of physical/mental harm or property damage associated with a claim. Punitive damages punish a defendant for their wrongdoing. If particularly heinous behavior is involved, an injured party or plaintiff may be directly awarded punitive on top of compensatory damages.

Here is a breakdown of common types of compensation:

How to Collect Damages

Receiving a damage award is separate from collecting the money. While you are entitled to damages upon settlement or a court judgement payment may be delayed. A defendant may be unwilling to pay or be unable to do so in full. The collection process can be difficult, but an attorney can help. Legal actions can include wage garnishments, property liens, or finding undisclosed assets. The defendant’s insurer may pay if they have liability insurance, while fees accrues on most damages awards until they’re paid in full, which can help encourage defendants to be compliant.

Contact Fund Capital America Today

When a lawsuit or payment takes longer than expected, lawsuit funding can help pay for medical bills and daily necessities as you await your personal injury accident settlement. Contact Fund Capital America for non-recourse legal funding in Los Angeles, with no out-of-pocket expenses. Apply in minutes and receive approval within 24 hours. You owe us nothing if your case doesn’t win, so apply now or call 855-870-2274.