At Fund Capital America, we provide settlement funding and law firm services such as police report retrieval, demand writing, and medical chronology summaries. These provide a great deal of support for a case. A medical summary is an important part of the discovery phase and helps communicate relevant facts during a lawsuit.
What Is a Medical Chronology?
It is a timeline-based summary of medical events based on a client’s medical records. The patient’s medical care following an accident is described in precise detail. Instead of simply listing events and dates, the summary provides key details such as the type of visit, the date and time of each appointment, and the names of healthcare providers and medical facilities. Diagnostic information and the patient’s prognosis are included as well.
These details can provide insights into causation. The impact on a case can be significant because the patient’s injuries can be directly correlated with an accident. Therefore, a medical chronology helps strengthen claims. If the argument is convincing enough, the odds of winning a trial or a defendant opting for a settlement can increase.
How Medical Chronologies Strengthen Personal Injury Claims
In addition to pointing out all the strong points of a case, a well-documented medical chronology can:
- Help Understand the Diagnosis: Details on the injury can identify its nature and severity as well as its impact on the patient’s life. The degree and extent of impairment can be determined as well, whether the issue is temporary or permanent. Medical records are summarized such that the diagnosis and assessment at each office visit are understood, which can strengthen the validity of the claim.
- Detail the Treatment Plan: A personal injury claim is often intended to help compensate the patient for the cost of medical care. The medical chronology answers why, where, and when treatment was provided. All recommended and planned treatments are noted, including prescriptions, therapies, and surgeries.
- Clarify the Past, Present, and Future: Aside from clarifying the present, the chronology can detail past treatments to determine if a previous injury contributed to the current problem. If so, this can weaken the argument and lower the settlement amount. The documentation can also help predict the need for future medical care, its associated expenses, and possible recovery time.
- Provide an Objective Analysis: An objective review is produced using the patient’s medical records. The creator of the summary isn’t on one side or another, so the information included is unbiased. It represents the facts as they are to help build the plaintiff’s case.
- Avoid Time-Consuming Errors: Medical details are clearly explained so someone without formal medical training can understand the patient’s condition. Therefore, an attorney won’t miss out on important details. The information they collect can help argue a case and prepare for settlement negotiations or court appearances.
A personal injury victim may have a long medical history. Their medical records may be voluminous so reviewing them can take time. Having a detailed timeline of events makes reviewing pertinent information less challenging. It can also help determine possible areas of liability and whether certain allegations are valid. Therefore, a medical chronology can help reduce the complexity of the litigation process.
Receive a Medical Chronology Summary from Fund Capital America
To obtain a medical chronology summary for a client, apply online with Fund Capital America. Our comprehensive summaries include an injury report, a patient history, and a flow of events. We ensure our medical summaries are concise and easy to understand. If you have any questions about this or our other services, give us a call at 855-870-2274